Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The beast of kawatsu

As is her wont on odd weekends, the Delightful Miss E made a brief trip to Matsue last weekend, and after a suitable interlude to reacquaint ourselves, we decided to take a little bike ride down the river. We had barely set out upon our intrepid rural adventure when we discovered this monumental beast shambling towards bethlehem. Here it is depicted alongside the Delightful Miss E and my bicycle: as you can see it is fully a quarter of a metre tall at the shoulder, with a stench so miasmal it causes the air around it to become blurry. Moments after this photograph was taken I was forced to wrest my bicycle from the vicious claws of the beast. Fortunately for me she (the Beast) was dying in the last of the Autumn heat, and wasn't able to hold fast. Plus, of course, I have a Japanese utility bike, which is aptly named and more than up to the challenge of a few bites from a giant praying Mantis.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me think of the preying mantis in that Buffy episode!

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like Mr Farell from high school science class. Great photo.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Miss Ember said...

It's funny how praying mantises have a striking similarity to Sunnydale High, or other, high school teachers! My praying mantis-like teacher wore shorts, kneesocks and sandals, even in winter!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Sir S said...

I am so traumatised as to have forgotten all mantis memories. But is it [preying] or [praying]? I fear I have fluffed my post.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Miss Ember said...

Nothing to fear, it is "praying", my dear!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home