Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The disappointments of Matsue winter





I know, I know, everyone thinks it's global warming which has made this year's winter so mild all around the world, and I shan't be bothered giving an opinion one way or another about the science of the issue, but all I can say is, if this is global warming, bring it on! (I reserve the right to change my view in summer).

Before coming to Matsue I was threatened with outrageous piles of vicious, deadly, cold, white snow. Last year in Tottori I am told it snowed without cease for 2 months. These pictures should give you, dear reader, some idea of the kind of harsh conditions I have had to suffer day after day in this tempestuous winter. Terrible! Some days, the temperature is as high as 9 degrees! This is the kind of cold weather I can (almost) handle! On such a day one only needs a thermal, a thick t-shirt, a turtleneck jumper, a scarf, a coat, gloves and a beany to be able to walk in the open for a full hour. Now that's what I call luxury!!!

(Although, the flipside is a constant feeling of being cheated - at least when it snows one gets some kind of reward from the cold!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home