Friday, August 03, 2007

My Moral Panic!

In the interests of furthering my Japanese prowess I recently bought my first novel, "Tokyo Real". When I say novel I mean novel in the sense that a 5 year old might. "Tokyo Real" is a novel of maybe 100 pages, the book itself b5 size and written in maybe 18 point type with large spaces between every paragraph. I bought it because, looking at the introduction, I could read the entire first paragraph without having to pick up a kanji guide.

So, I have almost finished chapter 2 now and aim to be onto chapter 3 sometime this weekend. The book is a classic "I was a schoolgirl junkie" moral panic story, except that in this case the junkie is addicted to ecstacy, and that's about it. There isn't anything worse in this country to be addicted to. If you are all very nice to me I aim to give rough translations, but I'm waiting to see if my patience lasts through the whole book, or if it gets too hard.

In any case, it's good to see that the same style of dodgy sensationalist "schoolgirl has sex [not with me! honestly!] for drugs" story is available here. Where would we be without this fine genre?

I shall keep you, as it were, posted...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home